Friday, April 25, 2014

Finish Something Friday - Indian Test Star

As every Friday approaches, my goal to finish something also reminds me to laugh. I don't always have to be serious or push myself to produce. I have a right to enjoy all aspects of my life. As long as I don't do anything that hurts someone, or something and as long as I don't do anything that hurts me, I will do whatever makes me smile, laugh out loud and even rest today. Over the decades of my life, there have been many events and people that brought me to tears. Today is not one of those days.


The 6" block swap has me concentrating hard to learn and get correct. This is my second test block, and the pattern is called "Indian Star". The block goes into the container for the wonky border on the wonky quilt I will make with next year's swaps. It falls into the wonky category because of the colors (not so much that the block itself is wonky) which will add to the holiday theme the 12" blocks will carry. The black and red checks came off a strip in a package of scraps my friend Virginia sent me. On its own, its not really the kind of combo one would think could go on a Winter Solstice quilt. Yet it will. It makes me smile that I got the points to finish and the square to measure.


One of the best all-time movie quotes I know is from "League of Their Own", and is Are you crying? Are you CRYING? There's no crying in baseball! (yes, one of my all-time favorite movies). And for me, that is true. I think joy is something we chose for ourselves each day in spite of what is going on around us, and that its important to find the people or activities that help us get to that state of being. Joy helps keep our hearts healthy.

I completed one side on Joey's binding for his Baseball quilt and will have at it again this morning. I love feeling it across my lap as I work on it, and the energy IS one of joy. It reminds me of all those baseball & softball games I went to as I was growing up, and as an adult that I attended with family. We loved the old Brewers, and MN Twins' games, as well as the games kids played in. Its the only sport I can watch with patience between plays. I know it well and have my favorite teams. No matter how I feel, sitting in a stadium or even in front of the screen here at home, baseball, like quilting brings a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment