Sunday, April 27, 2014

If I look back...

I spent the entire day piecing, pressing, pinning and piecing again. Nothing really got finished, however, doing the work of it all makes it a good day.

The part I got for the tote bag is not going to do what I want. Carol & I plan a road trip to the big city on Wednesday, which really means shopping at JoAnn's. I am not sure what I am looking for but will know it when I see it. They've become such a fashion item. It just means that it won't arrive for Debi's birthday like I planned. 

I do appreciate what I did today. What is funny is that I realize it takes courage to let go of my personal expectations of performance and realize that some days, what I do is simply enough.

A quote I like from the "Game of Thrones" books is something the character Daenerys Targaryen says a lot..."If I look back, I am lost". The first time I read that, it struck a cord in my soul. I know that the words are put in her mouth by the author, and sometimes I like the man, and other times, he really irritates me. I know that authors write from their own experiences and imaginations, so expect that he may have encountered a person who lived by that comment.

Looking back happens to me every day, sometimes with joy, sometimes with a wish that I had taken another path, or said something different. However, life is just too short to keep looking in the rear view mirror. 

Going forward, somedays, means pinning, piecing, pressing and doing it all over again. I cannot see the end of the project, don't have photos of the process and am simply ok with where it was in the moment.

If I look back, I am lost. If I look ahead, I am filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment