Wednesday, June 11, 2014

MN Vacation (June 11th-25th)

Its hard for me to pick one photo of what MN represents to me. First of all, my adult Sons live there with their families. 


They were young here in this photo; younger than their own children are right now. Of course, I can hardly wait to see all of them. And to see my friends and family living nearby. And the state with its pine trees and birch trees, its green humid land. I want to ride across a bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River singing to her often as possible. I love Minnesota, though its been said the crop of mosquitos is quite heavy this year & they are wicked. It will be lovely to visit gardens, and homes, parks and the cabin up north. It will be fun to attend parties and water parks, picnics and potlucks, and visit my favorite restaurants to laugh the days and nights away. And it will be like heaven to hear songs of the Cardinals in the trees and the Loon on the lake. 

So its true that I will be away from home here in Cali, away from my computer and this blog, and away from my sewing machine and quilts. Away until my flight back to Bakersfield on the 25th and the drive home through the mountains that night after 7 pm.

The only thing left for me to do today is to putter outside in the gardens, water the indoor plants, and put all my quilting away so that when I come home its like walking into a space that is clean, cleared of energies and consecrated. This is my sacred space, this area where I create. 

Sometimes I wonder if living so far away from my family and most of my friends that 'home' is more of an ideal than it is a reality. With the two being thousands of miles apart, its like I am a traveler who always wanders in heart, ever reaching for one place or the other, calling both places home because my heart is in both places.

Some years, when I traveled more, I made it a special point to stay online to stay in touch, but anymore, what is important to me is living in that present moment, with the people within my grasp. I am so often without them, that when I return for even a short stay, I give them my full attention.

I hope you return when I return. There will be stories to tell about what I learned when I was in Minnesota.