Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Holiday Gifts

With all the patterns out there for fabric boxes, baskets, and bins, I thought I'd try my hand at making more of them with all the scraps I have here.

Its funny how in the auditioning process, some fabrics make me want to hold onto them for something special. Long ago, I decided to use my good dishes for every day, so its curious to me why I would keep back a piece of cloth waiting for a special use.

Last year, someone sent me several shades of red hand-dyed FQs that were simply breathtaking. And after a year, I have just started using them. Here is one of the pieces that is going onto one side of a holiday fabric box that will have one of the vintage fabrics as well.
That fabric is a stripe pattern so I wasn't sure how it would work. While this pic shows the red on the outside, I do believe the finish will have it on the inside. It will be a good gift that is going to my Godson. There is still handwork to be done and buttons on each of the points.

The other thing I worked on was a swap for a Winter Solstice Amulet. It doesn't actually start until November 1, however, Rex counseled me to start the projects as soon as I sign up so that I didn't get behind on them.

I am still not sure how I will make this work or what the intention will be. I never see myself as particularly creative so doing something non-quilty is very healing and definitely makes me think outside the box with what I am doing.

The Butterfly Wings quilt is ready to baste and so I will make an appointment at the clubhouse for later in the week. I have more than a few smaller items to do, and then the machine needs to go in for service. I've been cleaning it a lot more, but can tell that the timing is not spot on.