Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Expanding the BOM

After measuring the fabrics that were left in the project box for my Granddaughter's graduation quilt, it was a simple determination that there WAS enough fabric for framing, the borders, binding and some of the FQ's used for the blocks IF I added another light print. I want to push it from 12 blocks to 16. I recently discovered a white print that will work and added it. I am still working on the Martha Washington Star and decided not to do the next Gaggle of Pinwheels block.


That means I need to make five more blocks and finish that Martha Washington Star. The final layout will change, however, I wanted to see what was finished and 'audition' different block patterns. First of all, I want to feel comfortable making the remaining blocks AND they need to complement each other. I spent a little more time looking at different Sampler Quilts for ideas. 

Added to the mix are: Basket Weave, Snail's Tail, Celtic Twist, 9-Patch Variation, and Dresden Plate. The first two take two colors, then three for the next ones and by the time I make the Dresden Plate, any scraps will go into it. I've got no room for errors and need to make finishing this quilt my priority. I will need to buy backing and then hand quilt it, so the push is on.


The first one made is the Basket Weave. Now, if one were to use WOF (width of fabric) pieces, the cuts go quicker and assembling would be a snap. However, by the time pieces were cut into fabric for previous blocks, this process was cut and measure by 1.5" wide and 3.5" long, plus make two different strips. THEN, because all patterns are not written with the same 1/4" seam, the first sample was too short. Some seams in a pattern are scant, some generous, and some right on. It makes a difference when the block is finished. This pattern called for a seam that was middle of 'right on' & 'generous'. It has a heavier look to it because there is no white or light print.

I am hoping that my choices for the additional blocks will be pleasurable to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment