Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I've Changed My Mind

I watched the finale to 'Downtown Abbey' and thought about it quite a bit. First of all, I've been saying for some time that we don't know how to say good-bye. Me. Saying good-bye to something familiar and somewhat educational. Them, going on however they can.


The characters in this British period drama adapted to their political, social and economic events. I think there was a lot of chatter about letting go of the past by both classes and being willing to adapt. It was sort of a soap opera, but I loved the costumes, and the traditions and kept watching for 6 seasons as characters in the plot experienced what all of us do: Weddings, births, relationship stress, financial concerns, death.

Just before I started to ink up the borders on the graduation quilt, I changed my mind about it. I haven't asked anyone for their opinion, and honestly would not care. That is who I am. In this way, I am still the same stubborn first-born child who always makes her way in the world by trial and error. An early Baby Boomer.


I decided to channel quilt the border on my machine. It took me half an hour to go around once. It has a total of 6 rounds, which meant 3 hours on the machine instead of spending 48 sessions hand quilting (possibly 148+ hours). It has been squared up, with binding on for the next session. At this point, I am not sure if I will return to the center and add more hand quilting. I rather like the channel stitching and would do this as a quilting option for future projects. I really love the colors front and back. It was a quilt made of reds, and yet with a little orange, a new depth of color appeared.

Changing one's mind is an interesting process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment