Friday, January 17, 2014

Planning Ahead

I've been working on Nick's Holiday Golf quilt this week. My style seems to include moving from one WIP to another for a number of reasons. Sometimes its for stimulation, other times its to keep me from getting frustrated. This arrangement will most likely change, however seeing a photo of the plan helps me see how it might work. 

My attempts at using the pattern sheet to record what I have done on it and what I need to do have helped in some ways.  Like so many busy people, I think I am going to remember what I did and what needs to happen.

For instance, when I cut fabrics, I use a highlighter. And then make notes, or circle in pen what is missing or hasn't been cut. That brighter green has already been switched to 4th row, 2nd block and because of these pictures, I will find a different green for it that doesn't make it stand out and detract from the center panel. Planning. Better to make changes while it is simple.

There will be four flying geese rectangles on all sides of these pinwheels for the next step. It feels daunting to make this quilt as I write about it, however, its an Intermediate pattern, so of course, it requires pushing me out of my comfort zone. Change does that for us.

It seems that whenever I move out of the area of my life that is comfortable into a newer place, I go through the concerns that I do not have what it takes to do this new thing. Its like second guessing my skills, my commitment and tenacity.

There is an old quote that says 'yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery and today is a gift'. That makes me laugh because for as long as I can remember, I fall asleep with a mantra: I lovingly release this day, and fall peacefully to sleep, knowing that tomorrow will take care of itself.  

I am making the most of it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment