Thursday, September 25, 2014

Vision

More than 3/4 of a lifetime ago, as a way to study world religion, I took on the task of reading the Old and New Testaments of the bible, along with scriptures from mainstream religions including the Jewish Torah, Islam's Qur'an & Sufi writings, the Vedas of the Hindu, the Theravada of Buddha, Shinto, the works of Confucius, Native American teachings and some African traditions. I would mark my copies and write in the margins. What moved me is seeing how similar we all are no matter what we name our deity. In the end, its how we love each other.

One passage from the book of Proverbs always touched me personally to say, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." Critics say this is a very misunderstood passage and its not about how we set our personal goals... meh.

Over the years I came to see myself as a visionary in many aspects, or as a person who listens to inner voices of her soul. A visionary is a person who exhibits an imagination & has ideas about what might be possible in the future.

Lisa's quilt is the last quilt project for 2014. One side of binding is left to finish tonight. I've printed off "how-to" copies for washing/drying, and folding hand-made quilts for every household receiving one from me this year. Endings / or finishing anything always gets to me. Honestly, I have to force myself to examine for the loose threads, seams, and the need to re-inforce whatever I've done.

Easier for me to envision the next steps. Down at the end of the hallway sits a container of projects for 2015. I've made the list on the sidebar on my blog, more to keep me on track than for any reader to take note. This where the quote above comes in, those words of wisdom about having a vision or perishing

It would be very easy for me to start floundering in my daily life if I didn't have a plan or a vision. It would also be very easy to think my life had little value now that I am retired if I didn't have a vision or plan. I like having plans. I like the visions for my work.

One of the concepts I learned from the study of world religions is about generative spirituality that is held in some way for many of the practices. What it boils down to is that the elders in the family or community do their work in holistic ways to pass on to the next generation. It is a key factor in current work for hospice care or end-of-life care work in the social services that help people find ways to make meaningful contributions. Social work has come to see that even at this stage of life, the call for a vision is critical.

Quilters have always been making quilts for their families and friends as ways to ensure their comfort and safety. Perhaps not every quilter make her quilts with this in her conscious mind. Yet, I read and hear how they work to make heirlooms to hang and keep safe or utility quilts to use and love to shreds. There is even a Visions Art Museum with spectacular fabric arts that take this work to a much higher level.

Other areas we see this practice can be in political ways that government sets out budgets, decides who gets the funding for what services to include health care, education and safety. Without visions, the people perish.