Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rainy Day

It's raining outside. A welcome rain. I've fed the birds twice already this morning and of course, they eat everything they can find.

The Kaleidoscope quilt is getting there. The last two spins are on the quilting frame. However, other things are happening today that make me want to be up and down a little more than usual. 

I am pretty kinesthetic, which simply means I am in almost constant motion. In another era, the powers that be might have labeled me hyperactive, impulsive and even inattentive, which are kind words for ADHD. I would like to say I've learned how to cope with these issues, but in truth, they are masked by simple mental force learned over half a century of self-discovery, goal-setting, list-making and self-isolating. Stress ignites being less in control. Certainly its a borderline condition but mine, non-the-less.

I think this is why I have so many projects going at one time. I can move from one to another, and also have learned to record everything about the project in the project container. This morning found me flitting from room to room, trying to do everything at once. I had not made a list and got caught in a whirlwind. I reached for my Bach's Rescue Remedy and sat and watched birds at the feeder for awhile. You see, its not as critical with me as it is for a lot of other folks I know.

After cutting the pieces for my older Son's Constellation quilt, I just tossed the remainders in a plastic bag and set it behind a chair. Here is the result of sorting and folding. What happens next is that I want to start cutting them into the largest pieces the fabric allows, and putting them into the appropriate containers, such as 10", 8", 6", 5", 4", 3", 2.5" and 2.5" strips. They need a good pressing too, so it will be a full day's work.

One of my swaps that goes in the mail on Monday is for (20) charm or 5"squares. The word charm is used when there is only one of each in the project. This is one project that can be completed while I manage the remainders.

Another swap that was just assigned is for the 6.5" blocks. My partner requested any star block and in any color combination. Once again, if something goes amiss, the block can go into my wonky box. I've found 3 patterns I would like to work on, and will see if any color combinations from the remainders can work. The blocks ask for either 2 or 3 different fabrics and most pieces are smaller.

The stress? My Daughter-in-Law called early to say her Mother is at the end stage of life after a long battle with breast cancer. Her Father passed this summer from heart disease. Then my Son called. Here I am, wanting to hold them, to comfort them as my dear friend of more than 20 years transitions to another plane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment