Friday, April 17, 2015

Push Buttons

Always something to learn if you care to learn more. I took time for my personal growth as a quilter. The DVD has much to share, and I read the companion guide as well. 


First off, the new machine operates by pushing buttons. What I learned this time is that there is a button to raise and lower the needle rather than to turn the knob on the right. Oh, you can still do it that way, however, pushing the button is easier. The three buttons are right above the needle: One is reverse, then needle down / up, and the lowest one is to turn it on and off.


The other feature that is new for me is the bobbin threader, which is another step up because thread winds around the bobbin and doesn't need to go through any hole like it did on my old machine. The new one also threads the needle like the old one did for me. I need these features not only to save time, but also for the convenience.

When I started looking at machines, cost was my first consideration. My repair guy told me they all need servicing and that none of them are made to last more than five years. FIVE years! That is startling information to know that none of our appliances last the way they did. Not the sewing machines, not the toasters nor refrigerators, none of them.

So the range of machines I was looking at cost between $9 a day to $.30 a day to run for 4 years, and that was if I paid cash rather than put it on a credit card. It made sense to me that getting a less expensive machine knowing it would need replacing was my best option. I just do not have the money to spend, knowing that no matter which one I purchased, it would need an annual servicing and might just flair out in 4-5 years.

Everyone needs to decide this for themselves by looking at the features they want. I liked my last Singer, in fact, the last two Singers. And this Brother is really going to serve me well. I've learned so much about it from the DVD that I wish I had known about the Singer. It is amazingly light and does more than I know how to do or want to do with it.

Along with learning, I spent the day piecing, cutting, pressing and pinning. The smaller projects are helping me practice. I do admit to being a little hesitant to jump into the machine quilting stage. 

It will happen. It must happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment