Friday, October 9, 2015

Gifts

I know that its not even Halloween, yet anyone who makes things for the Winter Solstice holidays (or however you celebrate the December holidays) knows that you have to start early. Kids are the more challenging beings because, while they SAY they just want money, they still want the gift to open. And face it, the closer it gets, we all want to believe that someone loves us and we deserve to get good presents.


To that end, I made two over-sized pot holders from what was left from the apron I made yesterday for the youngest of the Grrlies. I used Insulbrite scraps and overlapped three layers, machine quilting a simple grid. I didn't put the usual loop on them because I don't think they hang such things in her Mother's kitchen. These go in a drawer. They can sit on a table too.


Then I went to the grocery store and picked up a few generic packages of things she can make easily, some just call for water, some call for additional ingredients. When a kid is in the kitchen, making these kinds of things builds confidence & self-dependance. She is old enough to stay home alone.


My friend here in town offered me this little baking tool that only requires some cake mixes and perhaps some sprinkles to decorate them. It will make a very well rounded gift for the Grrrlie-grrl.

Oh, I know that what is in this kitchen package isn't all that healthy. Everything in it will be familiar, and even if she made it all the first week after opening, it will have given her something new to try, something special to wear, and something to keep her safe as she works / plays. And a little money will make her smile. At 10, her Mother pays for everything she needs.

Often, when I do something for or with my Grandchildren, I am reminded of the four very special Grandparents I had. None of them used box mixes to make our meals. And aprons were quite the utilitarian garb when in the kitchen whether you were female or male. Seemed that the men wore them made of white heavy fabric. 


One of my Grams wore red gingham that she cross stitched borders at the bottoms. They always fascinated me. When I did a search for red gingham aprons with cross stitch, I was really surprised at how much of an art form this is.  Gramma Lizzy wore her aprons to pieces and by the time she went into a nursing home, they were stained and frayed and tossed in the trash. All this apron-making has given me pause to think about making red gingham aprons for myself. I love to do the hand work and want to learn more. HOWEVER, when I looked at the tutorials, I learned that it wasn't easy. I am putting this into the dream file...the someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment