Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lessons in Life

I've had so much fun with the Mug Rug Swap, and finished the two official ones last night. As I wrote earlier, I plan to make some to include with cookies for the Grandkids this year. Making these mini quilts gave me an opportunity to push my skill level.  At first, my concerns were that what I made was not good enough.

It is a liberating experience to lower my expectations. It was as if I gave myself permission to see the flaws, take time to correct them or simply do better the next time. Beginners are not experts.

When I read comments of other Mug Rug Swappers, it became clear that almost everyone goes through an angst about their work.

We are all awkward when we start anything new. If we knew how to do it, it wouldn't be a lesson in our life, and without the lesson, there is no thrill of achieving the next stage.

To that end, what I did this week is first to join the Tehachapi Mountain Quilter's Guild as well as an off-shoot friendship gathering to make Comfort Quilts.  And then this morning, I joined another swap that is a monthly exchange of another mini quilt.


The dimensions have gotten a bit larger from at least a 12 x12 inches to no larger than 30x30. End products can be used as candle mats or table runners and will have monthly themes. 

In my application, I was clear about my skill level so that they could match me with someone equally skilled. I looked at the pictures of past swaps to see the range of talents and can tell that this is another way to grow, not only as a quilter, but as a human with a spirit who desires to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment