Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Feeling Anticipation

Its so easy to relish the finishing of a quilt. Its also easy for me to trick myself into thinking that peak moment is the only one that counts most in my quilt-making. 

However, this quilt, meant as a donation for a Pink Purse Fundraiser scheduled for early February, has one more stage to go, and that is hand sewing the binding. Its pinned and ready, and will take me a couple nights to do.


This stage brings the moment of heightened anticipation, and in one way, anticipation is almost as good or better than the reward of it being done. 

I feel like my heart opened to this quilt as I put it together, even though I could not 'see' in my mind how it would work. I am not a fan of the color pink, and was limited by both what I had on hand in my own stash and what I could find in town.

I've been told by more than one non-quilter how they love the look of those random blocks of color reminiscent of quilts their grandmothers gave them many years ago.The front is put together with such a theme. 

Then I added that non-traditonal-and-a-bit wild pink print as a border on front, and for entire the back in order to jazz it up a bit. The lime green binding also has a suggestion of the angel-wing print, and I find myself loving how they both look.

Yes, my heart opened to this quilt, opened to the woman who will receive any sort of financial benefits it brings at the silent auction, as well as to the winner.

Sometimes not having a vision for a quilt, or going with how it evolves serves to push my comfort, and in a small way, it sabotages my joy in the process by creating angst. I think that when the joy goes out of a project, it gets tossed into one of those UFO (unfinished objects) bin with a big chance that it will never see the light of day again. Luckily, that didn't happen.

I have not let myself see how this one looks from the front yet and plan to wait until comes out of the dryer to fluff out. I am soaking up that sweet feeling of anticipation for now, and taking comfort in how cozy it feels as I work on the binding. 

Binding. Ah, thoughts for that another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment