Sunday, October 12, 2014

Cutting, cutting, cutting

After finishing my Daughter-in-Law's apron, I pulled out a bin that holds holiday fabrics. It gets to be such a mess after I dig through it looking for whatever is in my mind to do. I don't have a new project going for the contents, but just wanted to reduce the bulk of fabrics. This helps.


I've said it before, cutting scraps down to usable squares reduces the bulk in a bin, yet, it is as boring a task as white bread. After standing and cutting for a couple of hours, this is the result of my work. Whew. It seems so little for the effort, yet I know that its like any sort of behind the scenes prep work. Its got to be done and someone's gotta do it.


I put on a movie and just kept cutting for a good couple of hours. The wider strips are simply folded, and will be just set in the bin, not because I cannot keep cutting, but just in case they can be of a greater use sometime as a bigger piece. In one way, it wraps up the last of the 2014 projects and allows for storage space once the 2015 quilts get started and end up with scraps of their own. 

I want to make a Lego mat for my younger Grandson, and it takes WOF (width of fabric) strips pieced together as a circle, so some of these uncut strips will get used in it.


I've been hollowing out another one of those book safes. Can't say it got easier to think of destroying all those pages, so I tried to think of it as re-purposing. I've actually never known anyone who has one or if they do, perhaps the idea of it is not to tell people. I am not sure what either of my Sons will use them for or if they will even think they are of value. My 3" square ruler fits into the hollow and provides the line for me to use. I hold my bracing hand well off to the side and cut pressing downward with my other hand.

It still shocks me as my box cutter blade cuts through the paper and creates shred all over the table and floor. The blade is dangerous on its own, and the force it takes me to cut into the book makes it even more dangerous if it were to slip. I've been trying to be mindful and to work completely focused. All along, I have wished for a proper workbench and a vise to hold it secure while I cut.

Its given me a renewed respect for my skin, my hands and fingers. I know that a forceful & accidental cut would create a lot of pain and be messy...bloody messy! I think I have about 1/4" of depth to go on it, and then this is the last of the ones I will make. It will need a final coat of the glue on the inside hollow, and then be pressed over night to have it all hold together. 

I am glad to have followed through on this non-quilting project just to say I did them. If I were to recommend them to someone, I would suggest more safety. The tutorials all showed it done this way on a table without the vise, but that doesn't make it really safe.

The metaphor that cutting is all about reminds me how hard it is to cut things from my life. I used to think it meant cutting off or out what no longer serves us. However, in this case, clearly the lesson is about cutting TO serve, to organize and to make use of something.

Cutting has always been the designated Crone archetype work represented in many cultures. The Maiden gets the Spinning; the Mother gets the Weaving. The imagery presented to us is that the spinning and weaving have more importance in creating the fabric of our lives than the cutting part. Cutting is ending, is final, makes everything done and over and finished. In most pictures, the Crone is seen almost receding and darker with less energy. 

Not so. Cutting is creative and vital to every process. If anything, cutting takes more energy, more attention to detail, and is the less safe of these actions. Is there more to the time of our lives the Crone represents? Maybe.