Thursday, January 28, 2016

Celtic Twist Block

Not enough fabric scraps to do a Snail's Tail Block, so I moved along to the Celtic Twist. The pattern says it is a beginner's block, yet, holi ka! I wasn't sure how these colors would turn out, and that wasn't an issue as much as getting the pieces pieced. The pattern used the same color in various shades. I used what I had.


With quilting, life lived in the moment is re-affirmed for me. It makes no sense to try to make something that isn't working out. I wanted to make this block with a darker background rather than the light. I could have followed the pattern more closely if there were colors like the pattern used. Yet, this was my choice and I am sticking with it. Hah! No one will know once it is coordinated in with the others.


It took me all day to make this block. It was like a puzzle & a mystery. I numbered everything on the pattern and gave my colors a value too, so I could understand the mystery of it. You have to look hard at the twist to see the two white prints, the light green. The orange shows up here, but the idea is to see the entire twist without so much looking at the details. I plan to work on the block called 9-Patch Variation and move onto the Dresden Plate. With luck, the lighter fabrics will start to show up more.

I have not seen the real value in making sampler quilts though I have made them, and in fact have another one in progress. Usually, the blocks fit up against each other. With this BOM, the pattern called for framing and sashing. I am loving the black print framing and would like to make this quilt again knowing what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment