Monday, November 6, 2017

Being a Perfectionist

One of my friends suggested I might be burned out. Clearly, I am avoiding my studio. The next project I am working on is so close to done. All it needs is the magnetic pieces made as a clasp, and then sewing the sides to the body with binding. Everything is cut and ready, but I cannot move forward.

Its not burnout. It is having the illusion of perfectionism. I found this illustration someone made for one of Brene Brown's books. Self-compassion is how you cultivate something positive in your mind or life, rather than staying in the illusion of perfectionism. Clearly, I am also experiencing numbing powerlessness, wanting that need for certainty, and having self-doubt and wanting some sense of control over the project.

For many years now, I would quilt every day for hours. I didn't come into my studio all weekend. I honestly believe what blocks me is the illusion of perfectionism rather than burnout. Burnout is a cop out not really what is stopping me from working. I am simply afraid that I will screw up the Weekender Tote so rather than screw it up, I won't work on it. I know it is silly, but it is honestly how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment