Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Comfort Quilt

One of the things I want to do more is make comfort quilts. It seems like I've had so many 'planned' quilts that I haven't taken the time to do them. Well, I have been making what I call quilt backs by piecing the scrap squares. 


Here's the story: A quilt was requested to give comfort. As luck would have it, all my quilts and projects were completed for this year so I agree to it. The guy wanted some tee shirts that belonged to his Step-Father before he passed to be the foundation of the quilt.
Well, he sent me three and they are all Harley-Davidson themed in black, white and orange. I went through all my scraps not knowing what I was going to do. Usually it takes 12 or more of the tee shirts to make a lap quilt.

Luckily, there were enough finished blocks in orange, black and white that I traded in a block swap group I was in years ago.

It took me all morning to piece those blocks with the tee shirt panels, while adding more fabric pieces to make 5 rows. I found an orange batik to make borders (with measuring about 52" x 72") and have enough to do the back as well. I absolutely love it. It needs to be basted, and then be machine quilted and bound. It is the perfect size for a personal lap quilt.

One of my friends commented that she hoped they appreciate the quilt. I have learned over the years not to DO it for anyone else. I take my own joy in creating it from something sitting in my closet. This one is stunning. I hesitate to post it as a commissioned piece because I would not want to get into that. Tee shirt quilts are a lot of work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment