Sunday, November 12, 2017

DIY Mat for Puzzles

Went shopping in the big city yesterday and while I did select a small puzzle for a gift, I wanted something more for this 10-year-old girl. I bought a copy of A WRINKLE IN TIME for her which is about an 11-year-old girl and has changed many a pre-teen's life.

There was a young girl in the store and I asked her opinion about both items. The adult with her said the book was a perfect reading challenge and the girl said she was working with 200 pieces. I put the 500 piece box back. 

As I thought about my child in question, I know she goes between the houses of her parents and thought about how I used to hate having to pick up my things and started an online search for a solution. I know that many inventors make things they never had. Sure enough, there were commercial puzzle mats to roll unfinished puzzles and save them, as well as sorting trays for larger puzzles.

I looked at the products to see what they were, how they served and how they were made. I decided to shop my closet first and found a piece of flannel, a good size dowel (the chip in it doesn't show), and some ribbon. The doubled fabric finishes at about 20"x 24". You slowly roll the dowel-end towards the other flatter end allowing for the puzzle pieces to stay in place. Tie both sides so nothing shakes out. Then when you want to work on it again, it unrolls.

I did find two boxes, one with 100 pieces and one with 300 pieces. I will get her some lip balm and maybe a few age appropriate make up things. She will be delighted in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment