Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Binding

Two of my projects are at the binding step. This has been the part of quilting that I enjoy a lot because it gives me a chance to sit with peace in my heart and a way to send it to the recipient.


I concentrate on the energy. Although these pics are not my own hands, it is the process I use. First I cut strips to 2.5" strip, press them over to a 1.25 width, pin to the project, sew it to the project up to the corner where it gets miter folded and sewn to the project. Then it gets folded over again, and binding clips put on. The needle is threaded, and pulled 18" out to make it a double thread.

The blind stitch is something I learned as a child and is what makes the work incredibly relaxing. I am still working on those mitered corners. 


One thing I do remember is that there is a front and back to a needle opening. Looking closely, you can see a bend in the needle, & with experimentation, you will discover that one side threads so much easier. I've tried to find technical information and all I have is my personal folk lore on it. If you have trouble threading your needle, turn it around and see if there is a difference.

Now, to learning the quilter's knot. I've needed to learn this because of my essential tremors. This method takes less coordination. And in fact, knowing about needle openings is vital to us all. It wastes so much less time to know what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment