Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Charm Square Sashing

I am doing two Mystery Scrap Sampler BOM quilts. That means, first of all, We never know what the blocks will be. Second, I am using fabric from my closet so each block is selected as its own color combo. Then being a Sampler means that each block is a different pattern. And lastly, as a Block Of the Month (BOM), Only one block pattern is released each month.

As I looked at what I had in my closet, I found a few random 12.5" blocks and matched them into the two groupings. The way they are set up, it doesn't matter if I add what I have in the closet and gets those blocks used. I pulled up visuals for scrap sampler quilts to see how they are finished. Again, I could go to the store and buy fabric for sashing, yet found several examples where 2.5" charms were joined in strips to make sashing and the first border. 

After measuring and calculating, I think I can use 6 of the charms to form the sashing between blocks vertically, and can start with 24 of them to do the horizontal pieces. I made 8 shorter strips and 5 longer ones. That is enough for one of the quilt tops. It surprised me how much was left in the clear shoebox container. It looks like there is enough to do another set of 8 & 5.

I am ecstatic.  

What I did was to match pairs first and then keep matching as I tried to vary the strips. I decided to only do as many for the first quilt top and see how it looks.

I took out the Bargello and discovered that it did need a strip on the bottom to make a 3" overhang all around for the long-arm quilting. Growling at JoAnn's for cutting what I needed into two lengths that didn't really work without piecing, I just did it and walked away.  Its ready.

Now, I am back to hand sewing the binding on the comfort quilt I want shipped on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment