Monday, June 30, 2014

What is Next?

Someone once said that the race is not always to the swift but to those who keep running. I cannot believe how much I am dragging my feet to get back to my routine here after that lovely trip back to the midwest. Its called de-briefing or the law of cure when you need to re-group your energies. Over the years, I've taken time to refresh myself every time I taught a seminar or weekend retreat. Its just smart.

Yet, for some reason, I am trying to stiff-arm it and get back to the swing of my quilting as if there hadn't been a 2-week vacation.  I got up around 5:30 this morning, put on the coffeepot and started piecing the 4 blocks I had cut out yesterday.  Of course, working before the sun comes up is not always smart. Its not so much about the light, as it is not having coffee and not reading directions. This 6" block is not right. I might be able to figure how how to fix it but have gone on, just pinning the pieces together for later.

The other 6" and the two 12" blocks are in progress. I discovered that I used that leafy fabric in a previous block and hope they will look different enough for it not to matter.

I think about the choices I've made in quilting, buying fabric, choosing patterns and doing the work, and know that all quilts made in the early stages are practice pieces.  As a matter of fact, everything we do is practice for what comes next.

As I compare quilting to running a race, then I see myself plodding along, being patient--or at least recognizing that I need to find some patience--and knowing that what is called for from me is putting one foot in front of the other and doing it again and again.

Honestly, what I am feeling is more from the trip. I spent time with relatives and friends, and saw how much older my Mother has become, how the kids are all growing up so fast and changing in ways I probably don't even see. I saw some friends and listened to the changes in their lives and know that the more we evolve that the greater the chance is that we will evolve differently and have less in common.

I can hold off the block that didn't come together the way it was meant to be and set it aside to work on later. But there is so much that I cannot hold off and if I put relationships on hold or tuck them away for the next visit, the cost is more probable that they will be lost. I think this is really what I am feeling. I don't want to just go on as if nothing changed, however, going on or going forward is the best thing I can do. 

It is my responsibility to be true to myself, to continue growing, to continue making connections. Sure that's how life works when its flowing right and clear and good and clean; and its also about quilting when I make sharp cuts, sew steady seams that match points. 

This is a day to be gentle, to enjoy tea, listen to the birds outside and feel the warmth of the sun. Change is inevitable and all I have is this moment.

These blocks will be finished before Wednesday when my local quilting friend comes by for tea. Most likely they will be done this afternoon!