Friday, October 20, 2017

Making Backs

One of my goals in cutting and saving various sized squares is to make quilt backs. It takes a bit more time than if I were to go to the fabric store and buy either a 108" piece to fit, or to join two lengths to fit. We are not owed conveniences as much as we take them without a lot of thought about how our actions might impact the greater good.
When I realized how much waste the average person on Earth was generating, especially here in the USA, I decided to incorporate practices that were ecologically better. I don't always do as good as some might, but do as good as I can.

These 8" squares come from projects I did or from fabrics given to me from others.  I've joined 7 blocks across and down to make the start of a back that will work on a future quilt. The way it works is that either squares will be added or removed to fit the top. I am going to start a bin with these backs, with sizes noted for easy matching. Also, if enough of them are made, it is possible for two of them to make a quick quilt.

Three Good Things / Day 35:

  1. I am making quilt backs again as a way to conserve resources
  2. My Older Son (a plumber in MN) told me that it is wind from above that might blow out pilot light
  3. Leaves are turning colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment