Thursday, February 1, 2018

It's No Mystery

Well, the quilt was a Mystery for 2017. However, I am writing about how hard it is for me to machine quilt. That is the part that is no mystery. I struggle with it always. This one will be channel quilted on a diagonal. Some time ago, I realized that the easiest stitch for me to do was the channel...but a horizontal. Going diagonally is so much harder because it starts at the longest point.

Trying not to look like a whiner. 

First, I got the 3 longest stitches done on the quilt by stitching on either side of a wide masking tape. My next step was to pull the tape up and make another line with it to start on one of the sides from center. I know some quilters use pens with disappearing ink. I don't have the space to draw on my quilts. I can toss them across my bed and am able to lay tape down that way.

These are the finished Mug Rugs I made from the scraps in my orphan bag. They will go off to exchanges in Swapbot. So glad to use the pieces and still overwhelmed with how much is left. I am in 3 monthly swaps so as I have noted earlier, intend to make as many of these as possible and keep a list of folks who get them so I do not duplicate.

Back to the machine quilting. As soon as I have enough basting pins removed, I can baste another quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment