Saturday, December 23, 2017

Cutting Takes Time

With all the scraps I had ready to use in scrap quilts, it surprises me that it seems there is just as much left after I make one! 
All fabrics are cut for the Ribbon Comfort Quilt and its a matter of piecing next. In one way, because all the colors are selected, the thought came to me to make a second quilt using these fabrics. I might put them in a bag with a copy of the pattern and see how it turns out. Usually the only pattern I have used for quilts is the Log Cabin because there are so many finishing variations once the blocks are made. Even if I were to use the same fabrics, I know that the quilts end up being one of a kind.


What I decided to do was to cut and piece a strip quilt for the back. It can be longer and wider than the expected measurements for the top. Even cutting all these strips left me with a lot left over. Empty bins are starting to show up, and logic tells me the stash is lightening. There is always enough in life when I use what I have and find ways to be creative.

The idea of comfort quilts is giving something to someone that lets them know they are not alone. It is like wrapping your arms around them from a long distance and helping feel the warmth. I feel quite honored to be able to do this with quilts because I know how hard it is for a lot of people, me included, to be near people who care.

No comments:

Post a Comment