Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Pizzelles

The Pizzelle batter is best made a couple of days before making. Mine was one day ahead. I cut the recipe in half other years and decided to make a full batch this time. Its a laborious process that means a teaspoon of batter on each of the two spaces on the iron, waiting a minute and then laying them on the cooling sheet. 


HOWEVER, I didn't factor in that I would be standing around in the kitchen while I made enough to last a lifetime. They are cooling on the rack. I also made fudge to send off in the shipping box, and need to wrap the 4 Silver Bells. 

I need to write notes on the recipe to use less flour. I added another bottle of anise flavoring, another lemon (juiced) and a small container of whipping cream to get it to a thinner consistency. Sigh.

Admittedly, I am tired out. While hanging in the kitchen, I cleaned the glass top on my stove and wiped out the stove glass inside and out. It took a lot of elbow grease and hasn't been deep cleaned in some time. I didn't set the timer because it was just a task that had to be done via Fly Lady and I was doing it between watching the Pizzelle iron. And before all this started, I made a trip to the grocery store and picked up some boxes I can use for shipping.

Everything needs to be packed, labeled and brought to the PO. The fudge is cut and in small boxes. I have tins, baggies, tin foil, parchment paper & cushioning. 

I had made a decision that I would not try to bake and ship everything all at once. Next week I want to make cutouts. I can bake the cookies one day, frost them the next. 

And the last week will be the Pinollate, or honey balls. These are cut into small pieces, fried in oil, drained and covered in honey. I make only one batch of these and divide them into small containers.  

While I think I do not have the energy I used to have, what I know is that I have become smarter to portion out what I do. It has become a matter of saving my body while keeping the traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment