Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Easy Doesn't Mean Fast

I was pretty excited to find a unfinished quilt project in my closet that was cut and ready to piece. Yup. It was a UFO. Thing is, pieces had to be pinned before going to the machine. 

It was an easy project to understand, except for one thing. There are three uncut FQs. I ask myself why they are uncut, and why there is no note-to-self in the container about them. I pulled them out & used what was there. 


The quilt is made up of 4 different blocks cut from coordinating FQs. One block is uncut. The second block is a framed look. Then there is a block made of strips. Finally the fourth block is (16) 2.5" squares.  As the project  finishes, the strip block is trimmed to size; the framed block needs the long sides & trimming; and the 16-square block has two sets of two joined and is pinned to join them into rows of four squares. Also needs trimming for conformity.

Trimming is essential for conformity so when they are all pieced each block measures 8" square for the finished layout. I have no idea what kind of back or binding to do yet. First things first. The bin of batting is full, so I will draw from it and most likely will need to piece that as well. 

The lack of a note-to-self was an old habit. Back in the day, I trusted my memory. How long ago that was is not something I do remember. What I know now is that I MUST leave them if I leave the project no matter how long that might be.


Which brings me back to round 4 for the April BOM session of the Medallion quilt. Didn't look at it. Don't want to look at it. Don't even care about the missing note-to-self. It take a grad degree to know that I am stuck. There are four identical star blocks to be made in round 4 of this mystery quilt, and many more days in April to get it done.

Luckily, I have this comfort quilt project going right now to take my mind off it. Well, I am not kidding myself nor anyone. My mind is on it. 

And what's this thing about conformity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment