Monday, April 16, 2018

Important Step This Cutting

I took out the bin with all the scrap pieces in it and spent yesterday cutting them into smaller units. I remember when I first did this and how anxious I got thinking that maybe I would need them in larger scraps. Well, time proved that if they were cut into the largest possible pieces, they would find homes. Another concern was that I should 'save' fabrics for special projects. 


What special projects? If a person lives in the here & now or in the moment, then what they do, everything they do, is special. 


It works to see what I have and what I need. 

I keep giving myself deadlines like: If something in the closet is not used in a year, then it needs to go. In many cases that came to be. For instance, my Mother-In-Law passed 3 years ago now, and I donated a lot of her fabric, a lot of her quilting tools, magazines or books, and supplies.

Every once in awhile, I make the trip into a fabric store and buy supplemental items like seam rippers, rotary blades, batting, thread, and yes, fabric. I still shop from my closet first. 

And cutting what is there has become vital to the work. When fabric is organized and ready to use, it gets used. I measure and mark the larger pieces so it makes it easier to take out the sized piece in the color that will work.


And after each project, there are remains to be cut again for service in another project. I know that eventually what I have will be part of my estate that another quilter can use. She will take it and incorporate it into how she works.

This half of the closet contains, oddly cut scraps, a bin of 2.5", 3", 4", 6", 8", 10" and 2.5" strips, a holiday bin of cuts like those sizes, a current project, batting and flannel scraps.

The other size holds project bins and the last of the larger cuts of fabric. And of course, there is an overhead shelf with smaller bins that hold various kits or projects I made. I seem to make a dent in it all every year and then find the extra fabrics I bought to complement what I am doing adds to the stash. It really is never ending. But close. I am getting closer.

A common complaint many of us have about JoAnn Fabrics is that we get coupons either in the mail or online and get excited to shop. Then, when we get there, everything is onsale or the coupon expired yesterday or starts tomorrow. I walked out spending only $44. 

What I brought home was some light lime green fabric that turned out not to be enough for the background HOWEVER will work for those Ms Santa (mine are going to be named LaBefana) pillows. I have 6 to make and want to make the back like an envelope the pillow can slip into.



I got a package of Warm & Natural queen size batting, the black frame for Mother's painting, and half a yard of fleece so I can make a cat pillow using batting leftovers. They seem to love having their own too.

No comments:

Post a Comment