Friday, August 15, 2014

Calling it for What it is!

I started a red/green Log Cabin quilt over six years ago and am finally finishing the binding on it this week. I never wanted to call it a UFO because that seemed like giving up on it just because...well, let me tell you, I have whined over this one a long time. There was no color contrast; the hand quilting was hard for me to see and do...whine, whine, whine. And really, because it was going to be for me, I didn't have a deadline to finish it, wasn't infusing it with my usually good energy and just made one excuse after another.

Its really a lovely quilt. The other day, I went back to the quilt store and found what I thought was the same gold fabric of the border that would work for the binding. Close, but a different dye lot and just a smidge lighter, which can barely be seen unless you are looking for the difference. It still works. So I set myself finishing it. Another night of hand stitching &it will be completed, ready to toss across my bed.

Two wonky houses arrived from my Christmas block swap partner. Its not as easy as a person thinks to do one of these! I thought her treatment was cute and appreciate her work on them. I know that this new quilt will have a lot of character. Its sometimes easier to accept the work of a partner than it is to appreciate my own.

I've been working on the B&W sampler quilt in two sizes and am not at all pleased with the 6" blocks. I joined four of them to make 12" blocks, but plan to rip them in half horizontally and use them as borders for ends of the bed runner. This one is going to be busier than I thought & yet, the end result will be most pleasing.