Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hand Sewing Binding

I like sewing binding by hand & have tried the machine method & fail miserably. I simply like doing it this way. Well, of course, the first part is anchoring it to the quilt and that is done by machine. You can find a tutorial on You Tube at: hand sewing binding
  • Single thread the needle with about 18 inches of thread.  (If you use more it may get tangled.)  
  • Fold the binding so that it covers the machine stitching line. I use Clover Wonder clips.
  • Pull needle & thread through. The only stitches that will be visible are tiny "bites" into the backing.
  • When you reach the corner, fold the binding so it forms a crisp miter. 
  • You can then whip stitch the binding at the corner, or just continue hand stitching the binding.
Right now, I am hand sewing binding on the Weekend Tote, smaller projects and the Disappearing 4-Patch Quilt, so its quiet work. Nothing is finished, & everything is waiting on photos. I have 60 of the Clover Wonder Clips. Smallest packs are 10 each and I may buy another pack just to extend what I can do in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment