Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Italian Garden Quilt

Inspiration for the name of this quilt comes from the Green Maze Garden in Florence, Italy called Boboli Gardens, and was built for the Grand Dukes of Medici in the 16th Century. It has a very interesting history & stunning charm. For more information, you can look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boboli_Gardens


I fell in love with the look of this quilt by the time I worked on the binding. My friend Rex sent me the lime green background, and I pulled out all the coordinating FQs from my stash. Of course, it needed a focus fabric and something for the borders. 

For the borders, I selected a Florentine Marbled Paper fabric that at one time was used for the inside of hard-backed books (the paper). It is still hand marbled in Florence by Berretti in small batches & sells for about $16 a page, probably for a minimum sale, plus shipping from out of the country. The fabric is a lovely complement for the quilt. I believe the paper is a green peacock pattern. It is just so perfect. 
See: Berretti-Florentine-Marbled-Paper

I am not sure I did as much research for a quilt's name in the past, but I did fall in love with this one because of the marbled look of the border print, and struggled with the structured look of the blocks. Then it all came together.

No comments:

Post a Comment