Thursday, August 9, 2018

2 to Ship

Whew, both quilts have binding and before I tuck them into boxes, I want to check for loose seams and threads. Its amazing how many times I do that and know that every once in awhile a seam will bust free. It is the nature of hand made items.

The older of the two in my closet was the Hallows Twisted 4-patch. This is one of Claudia's patterns. She owns and operates one of the fabric stores in town, 5 Heart Quilts. She made up this pattern for many sizes and this one comes out as less than the usual twin size and more than the usual lap size.

I put one fabric on the back. My intention was to have a less busy side, however it seems that all Hallows fabrics are busy. This one goes to my eldest Granddaughter who was born on Hallows. Her partner has an end of the month in October birthday as well, so they will enjoy it.

The second finish goes to a friend who often reads my blog. So I am only posting a pic of the back. As everyone who knows me knows, my goal is to use up as much of the scraps in my closet as I have. This is a perfect example. I think they are 4" squares made into 9-patch blocks and then randomly pieced. The top on this is also a scrap quilt. This one is a personal lap or nap quilt that would welcome her furbabies and simply go into the wash when needed. A true utility quilt. I will post the top after she receives it. 

I plan a long weekend trip to Vegas from Friday to Monday, so will not be quilting nor blogging. It is my hope to drop off the Bargello quilt so Claudia can long-arm it. I am in no hurry for it as his next birthday is on February 2. However, it feels good to have it ready.

I plan to cut more scraps from leftover fabric to put in the size bins. I did piece enough 2.5" charm sashing by joining them into strips for both BOM Sampler quilts I am making. If more is needed for the sashing and first border, I can add to them as they finish. Also, I found some Insul-bright scraps to make pot holders and want to use up more of the Hallows scraps for them.  

I think I have advanced in accepting my life as it is, knowing that the woman I was when I was younger had so much more energy, stamina and creativity than I do now. As I use up these scraps and find more ways to be creative, I am celebrating who I am rather than whining about waning skills, waning energy, stamina and creativity. I am doing the best I can just like I always have. And I am enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment