Friday, August 17, 2018

Day of the Dead Medallion Quilt

I really don't have a pattern to follow. A swapper sent me a FQ of the black fabric with Day of the Dead skulls on it & I had no idea how to use it. 


One of the other BOM groups had a block I just copied for the center of this one. It called for two contrasting FQs, so I used the black with a bright white. Then, I pulled a lot of the bright fabrics to go with the print. I wasn't sure how to make this, and decided to go step by step and see what evolved. 

I like the teal as a first border and got it into my head to do a checkerboard for another border. 

First I added a small 1.5" raw bright yellow, and luckily that added amount helped the 2.5" squares fit perfectly. Another yellow border is on, and I think from this point, it might work to simply do borders with cornerstones and get the whole top to a decent lap top size. I think the other brights can be cut in jelly roll size and just create a random back. As I look at the pic, black might make a good addition for the next one just to bring in the black again. I also have a 6" Friendship block pattern I want to consider.

While I am happy with how it is evolving, like the others for Hallows, it won't get finished until next year. I am in no hurry. What I need to remember is the note-to-self.

No comments:

Post a Comment