Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Hand Sewing the Binding

It is my plan to finish and ship two quilts on Friday before the trip to Vegas for the Anniversary party. I am just starting on the second side of the first of them, so cannot look at any of the other projects until they are finished.

There are three projects sitting on the pressing board. One is the last border for the Medallion quilt. One is cutting the Jets quilt to start it. The other is a Hallows quilt with both embroidered and pieced squares to it.

I am not taking pics of all of it sitting on the board. While pics help with the visuals on the blog, there are too many already of just fabric. 

Binding quilts is a profound action for me. So many messages and lessons and meanings. Its about closure, containment, finishing, framing. I love this part because it is hand work. Its gotten harder for me to thread needles because of the Essential Tremors, strong in my left hand and starting in the right. Yet, it still relaxes me and gives that sense of completion. 

I wonder how much it is a metaphor for aging issues...getting closer to end of life.

Many of the projects in my closet are getting finished and that gives me a strong sense of accomplishment. I loved receiving the fabrics from various friends and family. Yet, one day, when I gathered everything into one place, everything seemed huge. I read how others build rooms to hold endless bolts and keep buying. They admit to needing several lifetimes to use the fabric and take pleasure in having it. 

Well, I have never been a shopper or a hunter/gatherer, so for me, it became vital that I use what was here first. Over the years, I had to buy a focus fabric to finish a scrap quilt, and may have to do that yet.

For now, I continue using what I have and finding ways to bring beauty, comfort and joy into the fabric arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment