Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Dream Pillows

After harvesting my Lavender this year, I decided to make just a few dream pillows. So far, I've finished two and have a third ready to bind. All of them are flat to go between a pillow and its case.

 This one is the smaller of the three. And goes to a friend who said her bedroom is in silver and black. What I did with all of them was to sprinkle Lavender between two sheets of batting, pin it, then quilt. In this case, I did channel quilting. Finally, I added the binding.

The second one was a folded scrap of fabric with the batting folded twice so its a bit thicker. I only quilted horizontally by the flower stems here, and then bound it in another scrap leftover. The quilting is not as tight but the ends were stitched to secure them shut.

 The third one is made from two 12" blocks I got in swaps when I thought I would make a blue & white sampler. Never got to that stage and decided to use these for the pillow. 
While they are clearly two different styles or patterns, if you look closely you can see they are 9-patch patterns. What I did was to pin them so the quilting seam would ride along both sides pretty close to the same. A non-quilter, and especially a young grrrl might not notice the way I do as the maker. I am going to try to hand sew the binding with the dark blue I have but if it doesn't work, will wait til I get a spool of white thread.


I made another fabric box. This one is made with black cats on lime green which doesn't photograph well. I cut it a little larger than usual. The inside and outside greens are the same color to my eye and simply look different.

Then, I went on a hunt for white thread. Small town. Only Singer emergency kits with 25 yards on a spool. I finally got the kit at the dollar store and will return the other one I bought later. Twenty-five yards might was more than enough to go around the dream pillow. And everything is ready to ship out.

No comments:

Post a Comment