Friday, April 14, 2017

Fighting Creative Block

Our culture doesn't always teach us how to say good-bye without engaging in a lot of trauma drama.

Even when it comes to worn-out tools.

It surprised me that I was able to make more 9-patch sets from a second search through the 3" Scrap Bin for a total of 71 blocks. Now, it seems, that I might have to get more creative for the remaining 1/3.


One simple challenge is my metal straight pins, and like any blade, they need to be sharp to function properly. I've been tossing those bent, or those too dull to pierce fabric. But the balance of the pins are still in use. I am holding on for no good reason. I haven't been able to just throw them away.

Another challenge, right now, is that I don't wanna. Whine. Working with a bin like this is giving me a sense of accomplishment without having to think about the UFO's and other 2017 quilting projects. OF COURSE, I am selecting colors that match for the 9-patches. And counting. 4's & 5's. Counting is good. I just don't want to think about how to finish this project beyond what is in the bin. It feels like I am a robot going through the steps without feeling a single thing.


These 71 need trimming to a common size, pressing and checking seams. I made a third pass through the bin & pulled out three of a kind. There was enough to make 28 more units. I don't have a plan for what comes next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment