Monday, April 14, 2014

Birthday Surprises

Albert Schweitzer said that "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."

My friend Deborah used to live on a farm in Minnesota not too far from the farm I lived on, so we saw each other regularly. She moved out to Cali after I did and lives in the northern part and I live in the southern part. California covers almost all of the western USA and is a very big state. We don't get to see each other very often. However, we are headed to Berkeley for the weekend, and will have lunch with her & Schon on Saturday. 

It is Deborah's birthday. Our relationship has always been one of rekindling our inner spirits. She is the no-nonsense-in-your-face-with-a-smile one of my friends who is always on the wilder side of issues, opinions, and beliefs. She spoke her truth long before it was fashionable for women to do so. Still does even after reaching  60.

I've been making a simple quilted gift to bring her on Saturday when we get together for a brunch, and have been experimenting with a block design. Its all ready for quilting. and with luck, will make a sweet little gift.

Like most of the other quilted items I make for others either as gifts or for the various swaps I am in, I do not want to show the pic and spoil the surprise.

More than a few of my close friends help my inner spirit burst into flames when I see them. I hold my standards for friendship quite high, truth be told. They are the kind of people who can be near me and not feel burned out by my flame. Lucky, lucky us.

Here's to friendship & to all the wise poets and philosophers who share what they learned from their friends, like Aristotle who said, "Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies; and like Anna Cummins who said, "Do not save your loving speeches for your friends til they are dead; Do not write them on their tombstones, speak them rather now instead."

How did we ever get so busy that we forgot how very vital our friendships are to our inner spirits?

No comments:

Post a Comment