Thursday, July 12, 2018

Making 8" Blocks

Hallows scraps were saved in many sizes, the largest of which are 8" squares. As a result, I joined smaller bits so they measured 8". And now what?

Halloween fabric prints are incredibly busy. Even if the square is cut from a single fabric, it is still busy. I want to do a sashing but am not sure what will work better and coordinate with the front, which is black and white with orange. Colors are vivid so nothing light or pastel will work. Too much orange, or black already. I thought about a bright, deep yellow, which would complement the orange on the other side, and found a black that auditions better and is on hand. I have black. I do not have the yellow. The challenge using such a scrappy back is in matching it to the top. It is important to check all seams and clip threads.

Sigh. Math. I found one site that set up the formula, but calculated it for 12.5" unfinished blocks. I am using 8". The scrap of black I found is a tone on tone. I drew the layout and have first started with the side pieces to join them. I am not sure how much fabric will work, so made the cut at 2.25" and will do the center part first. I have another solid black to make an outside border. For as much of this Halloween fabric I used for the top and the bottom, there is still a lot of it left for another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment