Monday, July 23, 2018

Rising Stars Out

It surprised me how quickly this one finished and was sent. And I write that smiling because, honestly, it was a BOM or block of the month and so took time. It took time to gather fabrics, time to pull sashing, cornerstones, a border, back, batting and the binding. 

It really finished fast or seemed to though, in truth, it took time. One of my Nieces asked for a quilt for a dear Friend who is battling cancer. With how she described the situation, there was no time to waste. I was surprised that I basted it last week. I channel quilted it horizontally and most of the blocks lined up. Every once in awhile, I needed to mark the lines on one of them, and it went fast! I went looking for black to bind and knew I didn't want to use black so found a mottled pink that matched well. You have to look closely to see it but its there. 

Then I boxed it and shipped it today, asking for a signature at its destination. I remember how these blocks went together and how I struggled to coordinate fabrics. As I worked on it, all I could think about was sending healing energy to her Friend. I don't know her name and it doesn't matter. I do hope she likes it. I do. It is a real work of art. Funny thing, these are her colors. Not mine, but hers. Its too fruuu-fru for me. Too grrrly. I was happy to use up the scraps and happy to participate in the BOM group. And so its flying across the country and will be in Minnesota in two days.

I love the mysteries that I join and love that they all turn out differently, and beautiful. Sometimes when I quilt on my little machine I wish I had invested in a long-arm quilter to get the more detailed and fancy stitches. Not too often any more. I realize that they are a huge investment and at the time, I simply did not have that kind of money to spend. I am content with simple stitches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment