Saturday, July 28, 2018

Reading Patterns

I am not sure why I have difficulty reading patterns. Pattern-makers use their own skills, their own interpretations, and its up to those of us following to either get what they say or ask questions.

The Mystery Medallion quilt was at the final step (8) this month. For the first step, I gathered fabrics suggested in lights, mediums, darks to coordinate with one another. In the mystery, you never know how they will be used so its important that each goes with the group & individuals. Its a matter of fitting, much like it is for us whenever we join a group. We want to fit. They want us to fit. Hope we do.

The back is assembled and will be adjusted to fit when the top is complete. I was able to cut background pieces easily and understood the pattern. After some reading and thinking, I got the colored pieces cut and first have to press them before taking them to the machine to piece.

Yesterday, I basted two quilts, so they are ready for machine quilting. This first one is a hallows scrap log cabin. Still hard for me to believe I can make a lovely quilt with scraps. I didn't take a pic of the back, but it too is scrappy.


The next one goes to a friend who reads this blog, so this is only the back and is obviously unquilted so the full impact is not seen here. I am using 4" squares to make simple 9-patch blocks & just joining them in a random combo without trying to match them. 

My out-of-state company comes tonight, so I do not expect to be blogging until Thursday after they head to the airport in LA. I've taken many of the quilts to their next steps and will be able to easily start back up again. They are all in one bin with the order on top the way I want to work with them. Nothing has a deadline, so its as I can get to them.

Also to be released are the new BOMs for August. I may print off those patterns, and find the fabrics from what I put together and perhaps even start cutting.The work gives me a purpose and reason for coming into the studio. It is good work, this work of spirit. Who knew that the ending of it because it means using up the dregs of the fabrics in my 'stash' would be as challenging? I wonder if that is what end of life work is about?

No comments:

Post a Comment