It took me a couple of hours to baste both quilts. I did one with thread basting and one with pins. It takes about the same amount of time for me to do them.
Thing is my Brother-in-Law's quilt is more of a throw and is smaller, as shown by the table on all four sides. I think this one will do fine with stitching at the border seams. I may do some echo stitching on the outside of the bars seen in the top and bottom white border just to fill it in.
My Sister's quilt is a bit bigger. Luckily, she sent me a package of wool batting that I used here. I had run out of my stash of cotton batting with the previous quilt (which was in 2 pieces). One of the sides fell over the edge of the table, so this quilt is as large as I care to make. I am not sure how I will quilt this one yet. It was made in blocks so I have to look at it more carefully to see how quilting lines will work on it. I can also see diagonal lines working too.
I've trimmed both quilts down to make it easier to run them through the machine. Batting isn't smooth like the cotton so it will catch on just about anything and everything.