Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday Sort

Any kind of excitement gives me a high & is both pleasurable and powerful. In my younger days, I loved higher risk sports like dog-sledding, sky-diving, skiing, and competition volleyball and roller hockey, all providing me with several crash landings. My back X-rays show athletic wear and tear. I even love the heart-pumping movies and get rather bored with what they call 'chick-flicks'.

While there is nothing wrong with being excited with high energy activities, there is also a place in my life just as pleasurable called serenity. Serenity, peace and quiet have become more important than those thrills, that drive to succeed, that pleasure in winning, and that tumbling flight in the air before hitting the ground ever did.

At the time, if someone had told me this truth, I might have laughed in their face, pulled on my boots and headed out the door for the next challenge.


Well, I spent the better part of the morning sorting fabrics, and then cutting smaller pieces into usable scraps. Here is the morning's work in 2.5", 3", 4", 5", 6", 8", 10" and 2.5" strips (rolled in the shoe box). Not only does this save space in my fabric bins, it also saves time when I make quilts that call for those sizes. I tried to keep like colors together when I could but let them all take on a random sort.

Then I stepped outside to my gardens to pull some weeds, trim bushes, and prune the declining Iris plants. Its gorgeous outside! The colors are inspirational, and that work in the dirt and among plants lets me celebrate being close to the Earth. 

Good goddess. My life has become a chick flick!

No comments:

Post a Comment