Monday, October 6, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop!



I was tagged for the Around the World Blog Hop by Zenia at http://aquiltedpassion.blogspot.com/. Thanks for the tag Zenia! If you haven't already visited her spot, be sure to do so.

The Around the World Blog Hop is kind of like a chain letter except it's w/blogs on the internet.  It's a great opportunity to meet and learn about other bloggers.  When tagged, the tagee has to acknowledge who tagged them, answer 4 questions and then tag different bloggers.

So here goes...

What am I working on?

I've been doing a number of smaller projects that include mug rugs, embroidery projects, some applique, a book safe, a money tree & a tote bag.







I've pulled out the 2015 quilt projects and am starting with my Nephew Jacob's next.


Right now, its a 53" square and with some creative additions for borders, it is my hope to extend it to more of a lap size quilt of 57"x73".



Also, I will be basting the last quilt of the year today and then be ready to machine quilt it.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Most of my quilts are made from scraps and supplemental purchases. I think it is harder to come up with the finished quilt than if it was started with all new material. There is a lot of time needed to select fabrics and make sure there is enough to finish the work. Scraps are hard to measure. I've seen a trend in the quilting magazines that offer more patterns and options for folks who do scrap quilting, so maybe there are more out there like me than I realize.

Why do I write/create what I do?

This is really a two-part question. I've been a writer for as long as I can remember, however, have been quite private with what I think and how I express myself. I still am even in this venue. Its hard to be transparent with thoughts and feelings, and with the way I've set the blog up to be public, its even more difficult to know who reads this. I keep that in mind, quite honestly, and tend not to be as revealing as I might if I knew the audience.

I've had a harder time believing in my abilities as an artist of any nature. Fabric arts are no exception. I encounter people who want exact measurements, exact fabric choices and exact outcomes. I don't encounter a lot of folks who like to work outside the box. If I were to give myself a number on a scale where 1=total structure and 10=total liberation, I think I am more at a 6 right now.

How does my process work?

Well, interestingly I like structure as a learning tool and so want to be sure I know what I am doing and then step out of my comfort zone. I have lists that keep me on track; I keep my fabrics in specific ways according to color, size, and seasonal/pattern function. I read a lot of quilting magazines, listen / watch You Tube videos, and communicate with other quilters.

Feel free to browse my blog and leave comments about anything. I will get back to you as soon as I am able, so leave your email address.

Next, you are invited to hop on over to my friend Rex's blog at http://crowcallingwoman.blogspot.com/
and see what she is up to. 

Thanks for visiting. Enjoy this fabulous season and do good things.