Wednesday, June 3, 2015

last two blocks

I worked on a number of blocks and was able to finish the last two of them needed for Jake's holiday quilt. Later this morning, I plan to baste another quilt at the clubhouse.

The first block I made is a variation on the Friendship block. The angel fabric came from my friend Virginia's Mother's estate. The block requires pieces that are 4 7/8" square for the HSTs and the WOF piece I had was just at 5", so it worked perfectly. The darker red has a gilding on it, so again, looks different from any of the other blocks.

This second block I made is the Waterwheel. I reversed colors from the pattern to make it a red and then used a directional vintage print with deer and rabbits on it. 

Both are good additions to the quilt top. My next step is to measure blocks. With so many quilters contributing to it, I want to make sure that any differences in sizes will go in the same rows so that the sashing can be cut to make them all fit together.  I know that some quilters in the swaps are adamant that the finished size be 12.5", making it easier to quilt away on their projects. 

I know we do our best and that sometimes things work out differently than planned. Its always best to have a Plan B in case the original plan didn't work.