Tuesday, July 5, 2016

More Scrappy Ideas

In a continuing effort to use up remaining scraps in my closet bins, I know I need to plan ahead. There are still a lot of fabric options in my closets, yet, making the most of what I have that I can use for quilt backs could be a challenge. 


The Fonz & Porter Quilty Fall 2016 (Scrappy Quilts) issue just hit the stands and came home with me. 

It is exciting to find stash busting patterns that use easy squares/rectangles. Both concepts are what I want for my quilting work. I am most interested in making some up for BACKS that #1) use stash; and #2 are easy square/rectangle patterns.


For instance, this MN Wild quilt I am making in class uses a white tone-on-tone print with lots of scrap strips, and I had been thinking the back should be plain, so was going to go with just muslin. I used random muslin scraps, and am making this as a back to fit the front. This pattern is called Rainbow Baby. How easy it was to simply gather color families, and make those blocks. Of course, it will look different from the picture because my scraps are relatively random in the color groups.

Because the entire magazine is dedicated to scrap quilting, everything in it has a quilter shopping from her closet. I am quite sure there was a portion missing from the Rainbow Baby pattern, yet, I was able to figure it out. The line telling how many squares to make is missing so I looked at the picture and made an educated guess, all the while wondering if most patterns have this proofing error or if it is just me.

There is another quilt I know will work for either a top or back called Strawberries and Cream. It is made with reds and white, but I have a bag of blues I've gathered just crying out to be used in that pattern. WOOOT!!!!

I will baste the next two quilts on my list and take photos to show in my next blog. For today, sorting cutting to pattern sizes, and pinning the white to the color is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment