Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Actions Do Speak

Louder than words. So it is written.

I think it is true for me. I've been making a 6" border out of scraps, and it would be so much easier to go to the fabric store and buy a yard of material. Like I've written earlier, scrap quilting is actually hard. Yet, there is a sort of artistry with it too. And it is an eco friendly action I can take.

Admittedly, it takes time. The only way it becomes art is when I actually take the time to design something that makes use of my stash. With all these strips there may be enough to do the border around the center of the quilt. I've tried to be as random with the joining as I could, yet admit to mindful selection of the pieces. It is my hope that the purples in the strips will pop next to the foundation borders. 

Fear of failure reigns through this because I am working without a pattern, working without anything but a hunch that the strips will make a good border for the quilt. I am working on a quilt that I didn't know I was going to make! It is important to me to 'shop from the closet' but its not just about making quilts with a pattern. It is about using up what I have unless what I have is not here.

I think that once I have completed all the known or designated projects for the year, that going through the stash and making quilts from it is a good thing to do. This will be the second project I've started since finishing my goals for 2016. However, unlike the holiday scrap fabric quilt, this one is designated and will be finished to send out ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment