Thursday, October 8, 2015

Aprons, Gifts for Solstice

When I first saw how expensive aprons were, like many who walk through artists' booths do, I said, "Why, I can make this less expensively!" What was I thinking? Aprons are a lot of work to make! Thing is, unlike quilting patterns that tell you if the project is for beginners or advanced quilters, apron patterns do not provide that guidance.  

I made a few aprons last year for gifts to various adults in my life, and decided to make them for my Granddaughters for Winter Solstice gifts this year. Two of them are in their own apartments and probably don't do a lot of baking or cooking. Both of them learned to bake and cook with me when they were very young. I am making them aprons and cookbooks of my hand-written family recipes.


My youngest Granddaughter is 10+ and enjoys preparing meals and desserts. She & I didn't have the opportunity to share kitchen experiences. This apron is a very simple pattern that is demonstrated on You Tube at this link called Country Kitchen Ruffled Apron by Shabby Fabrics. I didn't include the pocket, which in my opinion, would cover up a lot of the fairy princesses. I've made this pattern a few times now and it is easier than the others I am doing for this year. What I like about it is that it will fit a youngster as well as when she is a grown woman.

Technically it takes three coordinating Fat Quarters which might cost around $3 each. I have leftovers of the blue and a bit of the yellow, and think I will attempt a double-hand oven mit to go with it. For the rest of her gift, I plan to shop at Trader Joe's and pick up some interesting box mixes and give her some items her family might not purchase for her to make. Whatever food I buy has to be somewhat familiar and yet just a bit beyond common so they can oooh and ahhh. Then, I want to make a couple of over-size potholders in the same fabric. It should be a fun gift to assemble.

I spent a little more time with the Fat Quarters I've cut from scraps by rolling them and wrapping them with seam allowance strips to hold them tight. They are colorized too for easy retrieval when I go looking for pieces in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment