Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Cutting Scraps

One of the 'green' actions in quilting is to cut scraps into usable squares, and then of course, making something from the squares. First comes cutting.


This represents most of the collection of usable squares ranging from 2.5" to 10". I pulled the shoe boxes out of the bin so that I could sort them all into their correct spaces. One of the goals I have is to make quilt BACKS from the scraps. Yet, first they must be cut. 

One bin has 2.5" strips cut to 14" and 7" so they can be made into blocks. I have already begun assembling them into the blocks. One container holds 10" squares that can be used for Twister quilts. I think that the containers of 8" and 6" squares need to just have them pieced randomly. The charms or 5" squares work great with the Lil Twister. And while the Mini Twister template calls for 3.5" squares, rather than to cut them before using the template, they can get cut once with it and will use up the 4" squares. The Twister makes 4" scraps. The Lil Twister makes 2" scraps.

I've got a pile of scraps that made a 2" square and I am not sure if I want to use them for a border because they needed to be trimmed. I am still wondering if the work is worth it. I've joined what I have.

The scrappy scraps can go into a pet bed but it gets way too heavy to ship and I don't have a lot of friends with pets here in town to give them away. Not sure what I will do with them yet. 

Sometimes, being green with my quilting takes more energy to use than I have, so I understand why some quilters give away their scraps. Someone has to use them. So for as long as I can, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment