Monday, March 7, 2016

Step 2 for Hand Quilting

The truth shall set you free, but first it will make you miserable. 

The quilt will take 4 corner template tracings, and because it is a square quilt, 11 of the cable template tracings for each side. Forty-eight tracings. I do like knowing what I am setting myself up for. 


If I am able to do one tracing per night/day and be able to work 7 days a week, it would take me 48 nights/days to do this part. Then comes at least 3 sessions with hand stitching the binding. I am looking at at least 2 months more on this project. If there is enough time before I leave for MN, I want to return to the center of the quilt and add more to it.

Sigh. I doubt that few people get how much work is involved in one of these quilts.

It may be the last one I hand quilt. Reality creates the atmosphere for making good choices and while I may never know what happens to the quilts I make, it still bothers me when I learn that someone bought a hand made quilt from a thrift store for under $10.

Who knows how it arrived at the thrift store? Clerks selling them for pennies have no idea what their authentic value is, and the person buying it only knows they got a good deal. 

And I say, 'oh well' to it and go about doing what I do because I love it and love the people I send them to. What happens to them once they leave me is not my responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment