Sunday, November 10, 2013

Out of the Trash, and into the....

My friend Rexie at Crow Calling Woman is making felt ornaments for holiday gifts for her friends this season. Remember, I said she is so very creative.


After seeing this, I pulled my Angel Kitty out of the trash basket to give myself another chance. I have not mailed the Doll Quilt for the November Swap and will give it one more try, using Rexie's technique for blanket stitches.

With the November Doll Quilt completed, I started browsing patterns for something to work for the January Swap's theme: "Try Something New".

New to me means pushing my comfort zone. I worked all day with this pattern, cutting pieces, piecing and cutting some more. I was devastated with my results after more than four hours work. 

The pattern isn't really 'wonky' and yet it asks of the quiltmaker to assemble the pieces in a very random way. And it takes thought, a lot of mindfulness to be random, wonky and careless in order to get to the place of feeling free. 

I couldn't do it. 

I couldn't create chaos. I couldn't let it happen. This quilt project is going to push me to the edge of my comfort and probably ask me to jump into a quilting abyss.  I don't have photos to share, though they would be easy to take. I have to find more comfort in what I am doing first. Maybe tomorrow. 



Like Scarlett said in Gone With The Wind: "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I will think about it tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment