Friday, May 20, 2016

Buying Backing

In an effort to get these Bird Quilts completed this year, I went out and purchased a white print with a blue floral design on it. I picked up 5 yards though the calculations said I only needed 4 5/8. Glad I bought extra. Of course, there was some left from the sides as well when I pieced it together for the back.


I got a little more because it is a directional print. It was an easy match for the center seam. I wanted to be certain there was enough, and think I have another quilt called Blues that I can add extras. It looks like it will be a lovely complement to the top. And with all the dark fabrics I have, its nice to have some light.


Then I cut 6" borders for the Piano quilt, pinned, pieced and pressed them. They are ready to be cut with the Twister template. This will be a nap quilt. I have a fabric that is a rendition of piano keys with roses. The FB14 recipient of this nap quilt teaches music lessons, so I hope there will be enough of the fabric for the back. It is a project without a pattern, so it evolves as it is made.

I have been hand sewing binding on during the day to minimize the stress I feel from a shaking left hand ~ essential/familial tremors. By the time evening rolls around, I don't feel like doing more and its less relaxing with the shakes. One thing I know is that with any physical issue, it is wise to learn how to manage with it. I did find a quilting article that gave suggestions for living with it as you quilt. Obviously, things like threading a needle become problematic. And, sometimes it can affect both sides of the body or both hands. Bummer. 

Evidently, this affects a lot of people, young and old, and of either genders. I spent time reading about it. What did surprise me is that a person needs to simply make changes to minimize the shaking. There is no cure and treatments only deal with the symptoms. 
http://www.essentialtremor.org/coping/et-and-the-arts/sue-henri-mackenzie/


I am reminded how Katherine Hepburn's head and voice shook with it, braving the public interviews she had. More recently, a character on Downtown Abbey by the name of Carson had ET in his dominant hand and retired from service because of the shaking. His comments said his Father and Grandfather had the same issue. 
https://parko31.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/carsons-palsy/

After learning more about the mechanics of the hand tremor, my own shakes less if I hold or carry something in my (non-dominant) hand without trying to close fingers around the object. Also, at this stage, I am able to rest my arm and hand. It seems to be a progressive issue for a lot of people, and so I know that what works today may not work next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment